08 Sep Jamie Oliver’s Harissa Chicken Tray-bake
Harissa Chicken – We just got a copy of Jamie’s latest cookbook, 5 Ingredients. He put this video out explaining how to make one his good and easy recipes and guess what – it is Transformation friendly.
1 large whole chicken
3 assorted peppers (red, yellow and green)
2 red onions
2 – 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 teaspoons harissa paste
a handful of fresh mint leaves
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and tear them into rough sized chunks and place them in an oven tray.
- Peel and quarter the red onions. Separate the petals from onion quarters and toss together with the peppers in the oven tray.
- Season the onions and peppers well with salt and pepper, and toss in the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Spoon the harissa onto the vegetables.
- Slice the chicken down its back and open it up. Score the legs a few times with a knife.
- Place the chicken on the vegetables and rub the harissa all over the chicken and the vegetables. Season the chicken well with salt.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and roast for 50 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, place on a board and serve with the cooked vegetables.
- Pour the remaining sauce from the oven tray over the chicken and vegetables and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Harissa Paste Recipe (Makes 200ml)
1 red pepper
½ teaspoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoons caraway seeds
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
3 hot red chillis, seeds removed and roughly chopped
1 ½ teaspoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
- Char-grill the pepper under a grill or in the flames of a gas burner until the skin completely blackened.
- Place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and allow to cool.
- When the pepper is cool, remove the seeds and the skin.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and gently fry the onions, garlic and chilli until soft.
- Add the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Place the ingredients from the pan and the remaining ingredients into a blender and blend until it all forms a smooth paste.
- Add a little extra salt or olive oil if needed.
- Store in a sterilized jar in the fridge for a few weeks and use as needed.