Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole with Bacon and Spinach
This is another time-consuming dish, but it’s the type you can play around with – and it ends up being wonderful comfort food for the whole family. Feel free to add any veggies you think your kids may enjoy.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
< Back to recipes
- Season the chicken thighs well with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized casserole dish, and brown the chicken pieces in the butter, a few at a time, until they are golden on both sides. Remove from the casserole dish and set aside.
- Add the bacon, and fry until crispy.
- Add the onion, leeks, celery, garlic and mushrooms, and fry until soft.
- Return the chicken to the casserole pot and add the chicken stock, bay leaf and thyme. There should be enough stock to just cover the chicken. If using a wider casserole dish, you may need to add some more stock.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and simmer the chicken with the lid off for 40 minutes until cooked. Keep an eye on it and give it a stir every now and then.
- Add the cream and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Finally stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest and spinach.
- Season well with salt and pepper and serve with creamy cauli-mash and some green veggies.
Email me this recipe as a useful, printable PDF document.