Super Beef Burgers
There are few meals more satisfying than a juicy, delicious, freshly made hamburger – another reason why commercial burger patties should be banned for all eternity. If you have a good relationship with your butcher, order your mince with 20% pork; it’ll just melt in your mouth.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: 4 big burgers
< Back to recipes
- To make the burgers:
- In a bowl, mix together the burger patty ingredients, except the butter, using your hands.
- Heat a little butter in a frying pan and fry off a teaspoon of the mixture. Taste it for seasoning. Add a little more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Shape the prepared mince into 4 generous burger patties. Expect them to thicken as they cook, so make them a little thinner than the end size you want.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the patties for about 4 minutes per side. Make sure they are dark and golden. Lay the bacon and cheese over each patty and place a lid over the pan for a minute. This will heat the bacon through and melt the cheese.
- While the patties are cooking, construct your burgers. Start with lettuce, tomato, gherkin and sliced onion, layered with homemade ketchup and mayo. Top the pile with the cheesy beef patty and any other toppings that take your fancy. Finish off with the top of the burger bun, then prepare for burger bliss.
- To make the burger buns:
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg.
- Combine the ground almonds, psyllium husks, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Sieve them well. If not enough ground almond gets through the sieve, replace it with some more.
- Add the egg whites and vinegar to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Finally, add the boiling water, stirring until the mixture is a doughy consistency.
- Grease a baking tray and wet your hand to shape the dough into burger buns. Place them on the greased baking tray, brush each one with a little beaten egg and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top, if you like.
- Bake the buns for about 55 minutes until they're golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Email me this recipe as a useful, printable PDF document.