06 Nov Nigel Slater’s Coq au Riesling cooked by Alida Ryder
Posted at 11:36h in All, Demonstrations
Coq au Riesling
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
125g streaky bacon or pancetta, sliced into thin strips
4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
8 chicken pieces on the bone (leg and thighs)
250g portabellini or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
500ml Riesling or any other dry white wine
salt and pepper
10g Italian parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large casserole dish.
- When the oil is hot, brown the chicken pieces on all sides and remove from the pan.
- Add the onions and bacon to the hot pan and gently fry until the onions are soft and translucent and the bacon is crispy.
- Add the sliced garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Remove everything from the pan and set aside, but leave the fat behind.
- Stir in the mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes until they are soft and browned.
- Pop the chicken, onion and bacon back in the pan and pour the white wine over it.
- Bring everything up to the boil and turn it down to a gentle simmer.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Remove the lid from the pan, add the cream and turn the heat to full. Cook the chicken for another 10 minutes on high until the sauce is thickened.
- Season well with salt and pepper and finish off with the chopped parsley.
- Serve with creamy cauli-mash.