15 Feb Gordon Ramsay’s Slow Braised Beef Short Ribs with Bacon and Mushrooms
Beef short rib is a cheaper cut of beef, but with a little bit of cooking time and care it can be https://aztecagrillfallon.com/ absolutely delicious. Serve this dish with some cauliflower mash, drizzled with drop or two of truffle oil and some grated parmesan to make it an extravagant meal.
Serves 4 – 6
1.5kg beef short rib (5 – 6 bones)
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large head of garlic, cut in half with skin on
1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
750ml red wine
3 – 4 cups beef stock
250g Portabellini or chestnut mushrooms, halved
400g thick cut bacon, sliced into lardons about ½ cm thick
a handful of fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Slice the beef short rib, between the bones, into5 or 6 separate pieces. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place a large metal roasting tray on a high heat on the stove. When it is very hot, pour in the olive oil.
- Sear the beef short rib in the olive oil, bone side up first. Turn it regularly; making sure it is nicely browned on all sides.
- Add the garlic to the tray, with the sliced side down, and brown it well.
- Stir in the tomato paste, mixing it into the beef and cooking it out until it starts to brown slightly.
- Pour the red wine into the tray and bring it up to the boil. Reduce its volume by half.
- Add enough beef stock to the tray so that the meat is an inch deep in liquid. Bring it up to the boil and turn off the heat.
- Cover the tray with foil, making sure that it is tightly closed, and pop into the oven for 2 ½ hours. The meat is done when it is soft and almost falling off the bone.
- For the garnish: 10 minutes before the meat is ready heat a frying pan on the stove and add the bacon lardons. Fry the bacon until it is crispy and add the mushrooms to the pan. Fry them together for a few minutes, and set aside.
- Remove the beef from the oven. Using tongs, place the cooked beef short rib pieces on a platter.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve into a bowl, making sure to push all of the soft garlic through too. Season the sauce and pour it carefully over the beef.
- Spoon the crispy bacon and mushrooms over the beef and garnish with a sprinkle of chopped Italian parsley.
For lots more exciting Banting recipes, sign up to the Online Program.