Lancashire Hot Pot with Crispy Sweet Potato Topping
This rich and delicious creation is our answer to a warming winter pie. You can’t rush it, so let it quietly bubble away while you get on with the day. Kidneys are a highly recommended superfood for growing kids, but aren’t to everyone’s taste; leave them out if you prefer.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 2.5 hours
< Back to recipes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Season the lamb neck well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter and/or lard in a large, deep frying pan and brown the meat, a few pieces at a time until golden on all sides. Set aside. Do the same with the kidneys.
- Heat a wide, flat casserole pot. Add a little more butter and/or lard, and slowly fry the onions until golden brown and soft.
- Add the meat and give everything a good stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the stock and the Worcestershire sauce. Add the bay leaf and the fresh thyme and bring everything to a simmer. Simmer very gently for about 1 1/2 hours until the meat starts to soften and the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in a circular pattern on top of the meat, overlapping each one as you go. Brush with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take the lid off, turn the oven up to 190°C (374°F) and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Turn on the oven grill and grill the casserole for a minute or two to crisp up the potatoes.
- Serve hot.
Email me this recipe as a useful, printable PDF document.